Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed

Default Advice needed

hi
    so, i need to extend my sister's I-94. I called my lawyer, he said they charge $1000 on top of $300 that immirgation charges. I am wondering how hard it actually is to fill out these papers, can I just do it myself? Because afterwards we will have to do a change of status for her, and that will be another $2000-$3000...I filed all paperwaork myself for my Greencard and got it in only 4 month, there was no problem at all. Maybe I can file extension, too? Is there a trick to it?
    Has anyone does this before?

Thank you

Default Re: Advice needed

Да, разумеется есть "трик". Но не такой большой, чтобы платить лоеру штуку баксов за это.

Вы близко к Бруклину живете? Тогда найдете паралигала который за 100 все грамотно оформит.

Самое сложное для делающих это в первый раз - написать письмо в вольной форме, объясняющее нужность продления (я так понимаю, что продлевается туристический статус, верно?)

О каких 2000-3000 впоследствии Вы говорите?

I live in Cleveland OH.
    I am so mad right now, cause my lawyer was delaying her extension, and he wouldn't do a change of status, which is the main objective. I have just consulted one of the people from this fodum (thank you so very much) and he told me about 30-60-90 rule, it looks like we could have done a change of status after 90 days that she's been here. Our lawyer told us we MUST do extension first (didn't explain why), and now we are a month away from I-94 expiration and I am completely lost :( It's too late to do a change of status now, a month is not enough, so I guess we have to go with extension now...

Quote Originally Posted by smorodina
    I live in Cleveland OH.
    I am so mad right now, cause my lawyer was delaying her extension, and he wouldn't do a change of status, which is the main objective. I have just consulted one of the people from this fodum (thank you so very much) and he told me about 30-60-90 rule, it looks like we could have done a change of status after 90 days that she's been here. Our lawyer told us we MUST do extension first (didn't explain why), and now we are a month away from I-94 expiration and I am completely lost :( It's too late to do a change of status now, a month is not enough, so I guess we have to go with extension now...
    no, it's not too late to do a change of status as long as your current status has not expired
    I did everything myself for my sister J1=>B2=>F1 and everything went successfully
    you can do it yourself - don't count on lawyers or paralegals, and you'll have less headache calling them trying to see if they have done the paperwork and sent it out or forgot about it
    good luck

thank you for the reply
    was it J1-B2-F1 as you said or B2-J1-F1? She is on B2 now, we need J1.
    By the way, when she came here she really was not planning to stay at all, she just came to visit me for the summer, but then we thought it would be better for her to go to school here, so she stayed. So it was not planned. If that helps...
    I am really stressed out right now, cause I don't know which way to go and I am so upset with my lawyer. Maybe she should go back home and then come back in a week or so? Are they going to turn her around at the border since she's been here so long? I am so confused...

thank you for the reply
    was it J1-B2-F1 as you said or B2-J1-F1? She is on B2 now, we need J1.
    By the way, when she came here she really was not planning to stay at all, she just came to visit me for the summer, but then we thought it would be better for her to go to school here, so she stayed. So it was not planned. If that helps...
    I am really stressed out right now, cause I don't know which way to go and I am so upset with my lawyer. Maybe she should go back home and then come back in a week or so? Are they going to turn her around on the border since she's been here so long? I am so confused...
    yes, it was in order that I said
    I believe (it's not advice, just opinion), your sister stands better chances to get her student status approved here than if she leaves and comes back again on B-2 - they may ask why she comes to visit so often and for so long
    but again, it's your choice
    why are you trying to get J-1, and not F-1 for her? is there any reason for this type of a student visa?

Oh I'm sorry, it is an F1 we are trying to, not J1.
    Everyone is telling me different things, I am so confused, but I have to do something ASAP. I can't believe I had all this time, and now I'm in a hurry. I should have done more research. So. If I apply for a change of status for her now, obviously she is not going to get it in a month, but her I-94 is going to expire...Is that OK since her paperwork will be in process?

I live in Cleveland OH.
    I am so mad right now, cause my lawyer was delaying her extension, and he wouldn't do a change of status, which is the main objective. ..
    Не совсем понятно что Вы называете "change of status" а что - "extension". Лучше просто напишите какой "путь" Вы хотите для своей сестры.

Сейчас она на В2, так? Зачем ей продлевать этот статус? Не легче ли сразу обратиться за сменой на Ф-1? О каком Джей-1 статусе Вы говорите?

Имейте в виду, что чем меньше смен статусов и продлений (т.е. заполненных форм Ай-539)- тем лучше. Тем меньше вероятность что на одном из этапов откажут.

Да, Элфина сестра прошла путь Джей1-Би2 - Ф1, но ей в каком-то смысле повезло. Я знаю достаточно много примеров когда эта длинная цепочка "не работала". Лучше не рисковать и подавать сразу на тот статус, который в конечном итоге хотите получить.

Oh I'm sorry, it is an F1 we are trying to, not J1.
    Everyone is telling me different things, I am so confused, but I have to do something ASAP. I can't believe I had all this time, and now I'm in a hurry. I should have done more research. So. If I apply for a change of status for her now, obviously she is not going to get it in a month, but her I-94 is going to expire...Is that OK since her paperwork will be in process?
    кстати, а она уже поступила в учебное заведение? вам ведь нужно I-20 вместе с формой I-539 отсылать

No J1. I messed up.

My sister now: B2.
    Our objective: F1.

Lawyer says: do extension first (a MUST), and then apply for change of status to F1.
    When I ask why can't I just to change of status I do not get an answer. Maybe $1000 they charge for the extension comes in place here?..

And yes, they do charge $2000-$3000 to take a case of a change of status from B2-F1.

She does go to a public school now, but we have two private schools to choose from that will issue I-20 for her for next year if we do that. What kind of time do we have? He I-94 expires December 18.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information