PDA

View Full Version : Free Information

ÊîøÛ÷êà
11-17-2004, 08:45 AM
Calling Directory Assistance on your cell phone can cost an average of $1.25 per call, plus airtime, not to mention the fact that one can easily forget the number as soon they automatically connect you. Verizon Wireless even has that quick and distracting "411 advertisement" afterwards, sometimes making it difficult to remember that number you just heard.

Want a better alternative? Try sending a text message on your phone to GOOGL (46645) with a name or category and a zip code, and you'll get the full names and addresses of nearby matches. No wasted airtime, no $1.25 per call, no annoying advertisements. Just results you're looking to find. SMS/text message surcharges may apply from your wireless carrier, and results may come back as multiple messages.

Example: Need a nearby pizza place in Beverly Hills? Send "pizza 90210" to 46645. Need John Doe's number? Send "John Doe New York NY." Reverse telephone lookup? Send the number.

Note that Google SMS has more than just telephone directory assistance. Get prices by sending the UPC code, the book's ISBN number, or use keywords with the word "price," i.e. "ipod 20gb price" or precede the product or code with the letter "f," i.e. "f portable dvd player." Need a definition of a word? Precede the word with the letter "d," i.e. "d proximity." And much more.

Visit http://www.google.com/sms/ for more information and various sample queries.