PDA

View Full Version : A Curious Hypothetical

pkhlaw
09-18-2006, 04:32 PM
Dear Friends:

We are posting here to ask your thoughts about why some people cannot understand why an immigration attorney would require a fee for conducting a complete consultation before providing legal advice. In order to help us understand this mentality, we have decided to post the following hypothetical and ask for your feedback:

Imagine that you feel sick and you decide to call 3 doctors. After a brief telephone conversation, Doctor A tells you that you are definitely ill with an incurable disease. After another brief telephone conversation, Doctor B tells you that you are definitely ill and that he will cure you for $3000. You then call Doctor C , who tells you that he needs to perform a full examination before he can honestly determine whether or not you are ill and, if you are ill, what treatment options may be available to you. He asks $100 to conduct the 1 hour examination.

What would you do and why?

A) Nothing - because Doctor A told me that I cannot be cured;
B) I would pay the $3000 to Doctor B to cure my illness; or
C) I would schedule an appointment with Doctor C for a full examination.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Дядя_Федор
09-18-2006, 04:40 PM
Бред сивой кобылы какой-то...
В спам его нах.

Baghera
09-18-2006, 04:40 PM
1. You can't compare a medical case to a legal case - the prossing/treatment approach is totally different.
2. In law, there are many nuances/issues/rules that need to be investigated before a competent attorney can say if he/she can assist you. The attorney must spend time on research, thus may charge fee for the consultation/research time.
Beware of any attorney, who based just upon a few words from you, guarantees an outcome in your favor.

Floridian
09-18-2006, 04:52 PM
A) Nothing - because Doctor A told me that I cannot be cured;
B) I would pay the $3000 to Doctor B to cure my illness; or
C) I would schedule an appointment with Doctor C for a full examination.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Neither. I would talk Doctor C into waiving his examination fee by showing him my bank statement with $3000 in it and telling him that I would definitely hire him to do the job if only after his examination it turns out I'm curable.
I've tried it with lawyers. It works.

pkhlaw
09-18-2006, 05:02 PM
Here's another question? Why would Uncle Fyodor move this to the spam section? A review of his posts may provide a clue.

If you are looking for legal advice that you can rely on, contact an attorney who is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association. They will be more than capable of providing RELIABLE advice on a wide-range of immigration issues, including tourist visas, employment visas (such as H-1B, H-2, TN, J-1, etc.), green cards, student visas, naturalization, removal proceedings, deportation, etc.

And when seeking legal advice (or anything else for that matter), don't forget this classic American proverb: "It's only worth what you paid for it" (or "You get what you pay for"). Just some advice for my friends out there in cyberspace.

Floridian
09-18-2006, 05:05 PM
Бред сивой кобылы какой-то...
В спам его нах.

А зря, Дядя Федор... Проблема-то серьезная. Кондомы-адвокаты норовят содрать последнюю шкуру с клиента. Обычно двухминутного разговора по телефону достаточно, чтобы адвокат понял, возьмется он за это дело или нет. Но он ведь еще сотку хочет содрать за просто так....

Дядя_Федор
09-18-2006, 05:13 PM
Here's another question? Why would Uncle Fyodor move this to the spam section? A review of his posts may provide a clue.

If you are looking for legal advice that you can rely on, contact an attorney who is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association. They will be more than capable of providing RELIABLE advice on a wide-range of immigration issues, including tourist visas, employment visas (such as H-1B, H-2, TN, J-1, etc.), green cards, student visas, naturalization, removal proceedings, deportation, etc.

And when seeking legal advice (or anything else for that matter), don't forget this classic American proverb: "It's only worth what you paid for it" (or "You get what you pay for"). Just some advice for my friends out there in cyberspace.

You want a reference to the Forum Rules? Sure thing, dude. This is a Russian-speaking forum, so unless you can provide a short Russian summary of what you've written, I have the right to delete your post к едрене матери. That's one.
Two. You'd posted exactly two messages here before the one I'm replying to. Both were some strange questionaries which had exactly as much relevance to immigration issues as a penis-enlargement ad on a medical forum.
Three. Now your thread is exactly where it belongs, because of your last post. Say hi to your friends.

pkhlaw
09-18-2006, 05:16 PM
Immigration law is very complex and in this environment requires persistence and creativity. This requires that every possible avenue be examined - and that takes time. That's what good lawyers do - its not just about filling out the forms.

pkhlaw
09-18-2006, 05:25 PM
успокойся!.. Myu prosto xoteli loochse ponimat i takzhe pomagat nikotorix russkix liodeu kotori chasto poloochaiot ploxou covet.

Дядя_Федор
09-18-2006, 05:25 PM
А зря, Дядя Федор... Проблема-то серьезная. Кондомы-адвокаты норовят содрать последнюю шкуру с клиента. Обычно двухминутного разговора по телефону достаточно, чтобы адвокат понял, возьмется он за это дело или нет. Но он ведь еще сотку хочет содрать за просто так....
Не вдаваясь в подробности самого поста,
-- он по-английски;
-- он не обсуждает иммиграционный вопрос, он обсуждает денежный вопрос. Соответственно, он off-topic.

Но. Если народ считает, что ему место в иммиграционном разделе, я могу переместить его и обратно. Считаем, один голос есть. Еще кто-нибудь?

Дядя_Федор
09-18-2006, 05:28 PM
успокойся!.. Myu prosto xoteli loochse ponimat i takzhe pomagat nikotorix russkix liodeu kotori chasto poloochaiot ploxou covet.
О! Смотри-ка, по русски заговорил! :D А зачем на меня наезжал? ;)
Ну, если кто-нибудь еще кроме Флоридиана скажет, что хотел бы видеть твою ветку в иммиграции, я передвину ее обратно. Но больше ругаться не надо.

Ладно, фиг с тобой, будем считать Багиру вторым голосом. С переездом.

Bumazhka
09-18-2006, 06:10 PM
why an immigration attorney would require a fee for conducting a complete consultation before providing legal advice.

What do you mean before providing legal advice? People pay their fee for consultation during which an attorney will tell them what options are available to them. Legal advice they recieve during their consultation.

Lev Kobrin
09-19-2006, 05:28 AM
Если адвокату для первой же консультации нужен "research", я не думаю, что он - компетентен.

Floridian
09-19-2006, 08:00 AM
Если адвокату для первой же консультации нужен "research", я не думаю, что он - компетентен.

Я вижу, что чаще всего на практике и адвокат компетентен, и рисерч ему не нужен, а сотку он все равно сцука срубить с тебя хочет по-любому.

Lev Kobrin
09-19-2006, 09:24 AM
Ну это, наверное, за потраченное время. Вообще-то, есть офисы, где первые консультации бесплатны.

FOLEY
09-19-2006, 09:30 AM
Если бы у бабушки был бы член, то она была бы дедушкой...

что за хреновые сравнения и дурацкие гипотетические примеры?

Floridian
09-19-2006, 09:50 AM
Ну это, наверное, за потраченное время. Вообще-то, есть офисы, где первые консультации бесплатны.

Я понимаю, что деньги берутся за потраченное время. Я только не понимаю, почему в других видах бизнеса (а адвокатская контора, для наших целей, такой же бизнес как и скажем дилершип) брать деньги за "потраченное" время не принято?
Ну вот я недавно был на Лексус дилершипе, полчаса ходил приценивался, мне помогал сейлзперсон, назвал для меня все цены, почему он с меня денег не захотел? А почему адвокат с меня взял сотку только за то, чтобы объявить, что его услуги стоят 5000? А если бы я купил Лексус, прибыль дилершипа была бы меньше чем 5000, а они с проспектив кастомер все равно бесплатно возятся. Я для адвоката такой же проспектив кастомер, я ему возможно свой бизнес дам, какого хрена меня чарджить за небольшой разговор?
Козлы они избалованные, эти иммиграционные лоеры... особенно те что деньги апфронт просят.

Дядя_Федор
09-19-2006, 09:54 AM
Если бы у бабушки был бы член, то она была бы дедушкой...

что за хреновые сравнения и дурацкие гипотетические примеры?
Ой, не говори, Фоля. Я уж было эту тему в спам сдвинул, но адвокатам хочется побазарить. Мы ж адвокатов любим, пусть базарят...

pkhlaw
09-19-2006, 10:16 AM
Thank you Floridian for an intelligent response to our inquiry. We simply are trying to understand why approx. 5% of callers (and a higher percentage of russian-speakers) cannot understand why we would ask for a consultation fee, while the other 95% simply respond with an answer such as "of course" or "no problem".

I believe that your reply addresses a common root of the problem, but it is easy to explain. An immigration law consultation is unique from many other legal consultations because, with a good immigration lawyer, the hardest work involves formulating a short-term and long-term strategy to address the needs of the client. For someone who is competent in immigration law, there is never such an easy answer to a client's question. Rather, consultations frequently last for more than an hour and involve many questions and answers and examinations of the document (not research, as some seem to think). A good attorney will examine all possible current and future options with the individual and explain each one to them. This takes time and requires expert knowledge and creativity on the part of the attorney. Once you determine a strategy, the execution is the easy part. This differs immensly from civil litigation (which is the most common situation where one sees free consultations). An immigration consultation involves more than simply applying the facts to one narrow legal concept and stating either "you have a case" or "you don't have a case". This is why it is very difficult to find an immigration expert who will provide a free consultation.

Thank you for your input.

seapig
09-19-2006, 10:17 AM
Я понимаю, что деньги берутся за потраченное время. Я только не понимаю, почему в других видах бизнеса (а адвокатская контора, для наших целей, такой же бизнес как и скажем дилершип) брать деньги за "потраченное" время не принято?
Ну вот я недавно был на Лексус дилершипе, полчаса ходил приценивался, мне помогал сейлзперсон, назвал для меня все цены, почему он с меня денег не захотел? А почему адвокат с меня взял сотку только за то, чтобы объявить, что его услуги стоят 5000? А если бы я купил Лексус, прибыль дилершипа была бы меньше чем 5000, а они с проспектив кастомер все равно бесплатно возятся. Я для адвоката такой же проспектив кастомер, я ему возможно свой бизнес дам, какого хрена меня чарджить за небольшой разговор?
Козлы они избалованные, эти иммиграционные лоеры... особенно те что деньги апфронт просят.

Floridian, во первых это относиться не только к иммиграционным адвокатам, попробуйте спросить юриста который занимается уголовкой сколько стоит DWI в ответ вы получите то же тк цена может быть разная как в таком деле так и в иммиграционном может потребоваться несколько появлений в суде и во многих случаях ты заранее не знаешь сколько. Если вы позвоните в офис где дают бесплатные консультации, то вам как правило просто скажут что можно делать и сколько будет стоить стандартное дело. Если ваше дело нестандартное граммотный юрист не будет вам говорить что делать по той простой причине что вы можете неправильно излагать факты, ваши документы могут быть не достаточными и в вашем деле может быть куча других проблем о которых вы даже сами не подозреваете, а если ему надо изучать дело это трата его времени, а его время стоит денег - это то что юрист продает. Если бы все было так элементарно, то юристы не были бы нужны.

Клиенты тоже не ангелы, полно людей которые хотять получить юридические услуги на шару, которые не платят за работу, которые пытаются нарушить закон оставаясь в его рамках с помощью юриста, и наконец которые просто не понимают ни хрена что происходит с их делом, но начинают орать что он сам юрист, что у него друг юрист и что он будет жаловаться в Bar Association.

P.S. Клиент всегда прав ...... даже тот который не платит. :D

seapig
09-19-2006, 10:26 AM
Thank you Floridian for an intelligent response to our inquiry. We simply are trying to understand why approx. 5% of callers (and a higher percentage of russian-speakers) cannot understand why we would ask for a consultation fee, while the other 95% simply respond with an answer such as "of course" or "no problem".

I believe that your reply addresses a common root of the problem, but it is easy to explain. An immigration law consultation is unique from many other legal consultations because, with a good immigration lawyer, the hardest work involves formulating a short-term and long-term strategy to address the needs of the client. For someone who is competent in immigration law, there is never such an easy answer to a client's question. Rather, consultations frequently last for more than an hour and involve many questions and answers and examinations of the document (not research, as some seem to think). A good attorney will examine all possible current and future options with the individual and explain each one to them. This takes time and requires expert knowledge and creativity on the part of the attorney. Once you determine a strategy, the execution is the easy part. This differs immensly from civil litigation (which is the most common situation where one sees free consultations). An immigration consultation involves more than simply applying the facts to one narrow legal concept and stating either "you have a case" or "you don't have a case". This is why it is very difficult to find an immigration expert who will provide a free consultation.

So, what is your strategy for filing I-130 for your own mother (a nice middleaged Russian lady), if you are a US citizen, and you are making 90K a year with no other dependents?

Дядя_Федор
09-19-2006, 10:29 AM
So, what is your strategy for filing I-130 for your own mother (a nice middleaged Russian lady), if you are a US citizen, and you are making 90K a year with no other dependents?
Деньги на бочку сначала! Тут Вам не здесь!...:)

Floridian
09-19-2006, 11:11 AM
An immigration law consultation is unique from many other legal consultations.... For someone who is competent in immigration law, there is never such an easy answer to a client's question. .

Булшит. Юник... невер изи... ага.. Опытный юрист сразу за 5 минут знает сделает он этот кейс или нет и много ли усилий потребуется ему для этого. Не надо рассказывать сказки про "разработку стратегий". Стратегии юрист всегда потом успеет разработать...

Я сам потратил 100Х5=500 долларов на пять юристов, только чтобы услышать от них какой мол сложный кейс и как дорого это будет стоить. При попытке торговаться одна сцука заявила : "Денег не хватает? Разрешения на работу нет? Так иди и поработай нелегально как все, заработаешь и придешь". И за это она взяла 100 баксов. Убил бы... Жалею, что диктофона с собой не взял, уж я ее в Бар сдал бы за такие советы.

Это Америка. Правило простое: хочешь получить мой бизнес - понравься мне, докажи что ты лучше других, сделай скидочку, улыбнись - и такой иммиграционный офис будет процветать. Этому правилу могут не следовать только единицы, у которых бизнеса немеряно от референсов и они особо не заинтересованы - но таких подавляющее меньшинство...

pkhlaw
09-19-2006, 11:16 AM
Dear Seapig:

If I understood you correctly, your hypothetical perfectly illustrates the issue. Believe it or not, while it may seem to a layperson that there is only one strategy for this type of situation, that is not correct. The strategy would depend on a number of factors, including how fast you want her in the country (if she is not yet in the country). In addition, whether or not she is in the country, I would never advise someone to file anything without a full review of her immigration history and immigration documents - in order to spot any red flags. I do not want to take the time to explain all of the potential issues that can come up. However, at the very least, the attorney should review the documents in person. Much too frequently an individual thinks that they know what their status is, but then a review of the documents reveal a different story. The growth of the internet has given some people just enough "knowledge" of immigration law to make them dangerous, so to speak.

I do not mean to offend anyone, but I am frustrated with number of consultations where the individual (or their attorney) didn't do things right the first time around and are now faced with removal proceedings. While we earn more money for removal cases, we would much rather help these individuals from the beginning and avoid removal proceedings altogether. I turned to you not to argue, but rather to get some insight into this mentality so that we can better explain why we require a consultation fee in most cases.

Finally, your hypo is not very realistic because by experience has been that a person with $90K income would likely understand the value of professional legal advice and wouldn't turn their back on it over a small consultation fee. I have also noticed that those that do not initially want to pay a consultation fee are more likely to have the most problematic cases. For example, they may have trouble satisfying the income requirements, they may have filed documents in the past and didn't retain copies of what they filed - let alone be able to explain what they filed, or they do not reveal all of the facts until they have hired you, etc. Perhaps they themselves are skeptical that they will have any options and therefore are very worried about "wasting" their money.

Floridian
09-19-2006, 12:02 PM
pkhlaw, да защищайте Вы свое право брать consultation fee all you want, это свободная страна, только вот Вы же сами видите что большое количество русских не хочет в Ваш офис идти как только слышат о деньгах апфронт. Если хотите получить русский бизнес - придется немного перестроиться, а если не хотите - так никому хуже не станет.
Блин, Вам для заполнения 130-й формы в простейшей ситуации еще и "стратегия" требуется. Продолжайте вешать лапшу на уши своим клиентам, продолжайте...

I do not want to take the time to explain all of the potential issues that can come up.

Да-да, и именно это они все приговаривали, кладя в карман МОЮ сотку.

Дядя_Федор
09-19-2006, 12:13 PM
Блин, Вам для заполнения 130-й формы в простейшей ситуации еще и "стратегия" требуется. Продолжайте вешать лапшу на уши своим клиентам, продолжайте...
Ну так как же без стратегии...
Форму на столе расс-стелить -- раз!
Ручку открыть -- два!
Задуматься -- три!
Выписать клиенту билл -- четыре!.. :D

Baghera
09-19-2006, 12:15 PM
О! Смотри-ка, по русски заговорил! :Д А зачем на меня наезжал? ;)
Ну, если кто-нибудь еще кроме Флоридиана скажет, что хотел бы видеть твою ветку в иммиграции, я передвину ее обратно. Но больше ругаться не надо.

Ладно, фиг с тобой, будем считать Багиру вторым голосом. С переездом.

Не надо меня никем/ничем считать, please.

Дядя_Федор
09-19-2006, 12:16 PM
Не надо меня никем/ничем считать, please.
Багиру -- вычеркиваем!

Baghera
09-19-2006, 12:21 PM
Багиру -- вычеркиваем!

Пасиб :)
А то если я начну спорить здесь, то не остановлюсь - я в корне не согласна со многими высказываниями в этой темке :rolleyes:

pkhlaw
09-19-2006, 01:04 PM
The root of the problem seems to be a serious mistrust of lawyers. Certainly, a mere $100 cannot be the issue (anyone would have to honestly admit that it is a bargain for an answer that you can rely on). Moreover, the replies here seem to indicate that you mistrust an attorney who charges a consultation fee more than an attorney who is willing to provide legal advice to anyone who calls at no charge (this is typically the work of legal clinics and other non-profits that assist low-income individuals). Why would any other attorney be willing to do that? While there may be some good attorneys who don't charge consultation fees, it seems to me that in many cases it is because they will not spend enough time to provide competent and thorough legal advice and/or they they are desperate for the work. Therein may lie the root of your poor experience with attorneys. It seems to me that choosing an attorney based on who is most accessible and least expensive is a dangerous proposition. Referrals (whether personal or professional) are the best means to finding a competent attorney.

I realized before I posted that this would be a contentious topic based on the amount of free "legal advice" that flies around this forum. Nevertheless, I have enjoyed the exercise and appreciate your willingness to share your thoughts. Perhaps your readers will use their own judgment to learn something from this exchange. Finally, I think you are wrong to attribute your attitude to all russian-speakers. The majority of my clients are russian-speakers, and they all paid a small consultation fee without any complaints. Based on my experience, you are in the minority. Nevertheless, I wish you all the best of luck. Shastlivo druzia.

seapig
09-19-2006, 04:21 PM
Dear Friends:

We are posting here to ask your thoughts about why some people cannot understand why an immigration attorney would require a fee for conducting a complete consultation before providing legal advice. In order to help us understand this mentality, we have decided to post the following hypothetical and ask for your feedback:

The majority of my clients are russian-speakers, and they all paid a small consultation fee without any complaints.

So, all your russian-speaking clients paid consultation fee and did not complain, but you are posting this question to find out why they .............. don't want to pay? :confused:

Дядя_Федор
09-19-2006, 04:31 PM
Ну, чей-то, мол, они энтузазизьма не проявляют? Должны добровольно и с песнями, а они морду воротят...
Вот возьмем трех врачей...:D

seapig
09-19-2006, 06:38 PM
Ну, чей-то, мол, они энтузазизьма не проявляют? Должны добровольно и с песнями, а они морду воротят...
Вот возьмем трех врачей...:D

Врачи зарезать могут ..... это дело серьезное.

Фима Собак
09-19-2006, 08:38 PM
Давать профессиональные советы бесплатно - непрофессионально.
Безотносительно к специальности.
Если человек не ценит свое время, как он оценит мое (время, здоровье и т.д.)?:34:

seapig
09-20-2006, 12:35 PM
Давать профессиональные советы бесплатно - непрофессионально.
Безотносительно к специальности.
Если человек не ценит свое время, как он оценит мое (время, здоровье и т.д.)?:34:

В юридической практике бесплатные консультации это очень распространенное явление и их дают даже самые известные в своей области юристы чтобы привлечь клиентов. Обьяснение этому очень простое - это часто если хотите своего рода взятка потенциальному клиенту. Юристов полно, как собак нерезанных, бесплатная консультация может определить выбор клиента. Например, если человек у которого каждая сотня на счету придет в офис за консультацией по делу связанному с автомобильной аварией, то это дело может принести юристу потенциально в среднем 5-10 тысяч долларов. Если человек может получить бесплатную консультацию он скорее пойдет к юристу который даст бесплатную, тч этот юрист получит дело и соответственно гонорар. Разговоры о том что якобы "хороший" юрист который берет деньги за консультацию выбьет больше денег из страховой компании это бред, как правило любой средний добросовестный юрист в стандартном деле получит ровно столько сколько страховка даст, на основе данных файла. То же и со стандартным иммиграционным делом. Любая скидка клиенту приятна. И абсолютно любой средний юрист практикующий в иммиграции может без особых проблем сделать среднее иммиграционное дело, в независимости от того берет ли он или не берет плату за первую консультацию. Те делать вывод о том плохой юрист или хороший только на основе того что он берет/неберет деньги за консультацию просто неразумно. Достаточно блестящих юристов которые вообще делают некоторые дела pro bono из разных соображений.

Фима Собак
09-20-2006, 03:34 PM
В юридической практике бесплатные консультации это очень распространенное явление и их дают даже самые известные в своей области юристы чтобы привлечь клиентов. Обьяснение этому очень простое - это часто если хотите своего рода взятка потенциальному клиенту. Юристов полно, как собак нерезанных, бесплатная консультация может определить выбор клиента. Например, если человек у которого каждая сотня на счету придет в офис за консультацией по делу связанному с автомобильной аварией, то это дело может принести юристу потенциально в среднем 5-10 тысяч долларов. Если человек может получить бесплатную консультацию он скорее пойдет к юристу который даст бесплатную, тч этот юрист получит дело и соответственно гонорар. Разговоры о том что якобы "хороший" юрист который берет деньги за консультацию выбьет больше денег из страховой компании это бред, как правило любой средний добросовестный юрист в стандартном деле получит ровно столько сколько страховка даст, на основе данных файла. То же и со стандартным иммиграционным делом. Любая скидка клиенту приятна. И абсолютно любой средний юрист практикующий в иммиграции может без особых проблем сделать среднее иммиграционное дело, в независимости от того берет ли он или не берет плату за первую консультацию. Те делать вывод о том плохой юрист или хороший только на основе того что он берет/неберет деньги за консультацию просто неразумно. Достаточно блестящих юристов которые вообще делают некоторые дела pro bono из разных соображений.
Абсолютно согласна.Похожие схемы не только у юристов.
Меня покоробил тон некоторых высказываний в этой теме.Мне не понятно, нужно ли осуждать кого-то за желание получать плату за свои услуги? Нужно ли обязывать кого-то делать что-то бесплатно, если конкуренты за это денег не берут?
Общее впечатление сложилось такое, что авторы некоторых высказываний пытаются обратить всеобщее внимание на то, что в Америке все юристы-рвачи, за сотку удавятся.И посмотрите,как нужно с ними разговаривать.Погнали "под свист и улюлюканье".
И какой-то к нам, рускоговорящим, нужен "особый подход''...
Считаю, что подобное не может быть рекомендацией по поведению всем вновь прибывшим и прибывающим.(Раздел-то Иммиграционные вопросы)
Не думаю, что у меня есть достаточно оснований, например, потребовать у блестящего юриста сделать и для меня что-то бесплатно, только потому, что он не взял денег у кого-то...
Что касается привлечения клиентов "бесплатной раздачей слонов"
Я отношусь к этому с некоторой осторожностью. Одно дело, если бесплатно консультирует кто-то, кто только начал работать.
Если, при прочих равных условиях, таким образом привлекает клиентов некто, работающий на одном и том же месте годы, то у меня возникнет вопрос "А что, больше клиентов ни привлечь, ни удержать нечем?"
Исключаю примеры бесплатных консультаций замечательными юристами(врачами, строителями)знакомых клиентов, знакомых знакомых, клиентов клиентов и т.д.

pkhlaw
09-21-2006, 11:47 PM
I just want to be clear that I don't look down on attorneys who give free consultations. To each his own. I know that the only true way to judge the quality of one's legal work is by the number of happy clients - a much better indicator than the consult fee. I really just wanted to hear the best arguments against the consult fee from the consumer point of view. Peace.

seapig
09-22-2006, 06:37 AM
I just want to be clear that I don't look down on attorneys who give free consultations. To each his own. I know that the only true way to judge the quality of one's legal work is by the number of happy clients - a much better indicator than the consult fee. I really just wanted to hear the best arguments against the consult fee from the consumer point of view. Peace.

I am not arguing, I am pro consultation fee, because there are a lot of people out there who just want to waist your time and get a one-time free legal advice, and it is especially annoying if they actually come over for the consultation, and it is not on the phone or on the internet. Very often I can immediately tell if people just want a one-time free ride, but then again, some of them are nice, and they have friends, and they can recommend the attorney to their friends. If you have a small practice it might be a good thing. One of the options widely used by the attorneys is to charge the consultation fee, but tell the potential client that it goes towards the payment for the case. If you are talking about PI cases, a free consultation might eventually bring you about 30K (if 100K if a policy limit), so a free consultation in PI is a very good idea. Sometimes, a person who was involved in a car accident and can bring you 30K is a drunk or a drug addict or just a poor unemployed person, and he or she just does not have an extra 100 dollars. Why would you loose a case like that by trying to charge him/her a consultation fee?

Immigration is different, nevertheless, if you think that a person can’t pay attorney’s fees for the case if he/she can’t pay a consultation fee, you might be wrong. A potential client can borrow the money from his/her relatives or friends; it is very common with Russians. And he/she is more likely to do that if he/she knows that the case can eventually bring a green card, etc. (after the consultation).