PDA

View Full Version : name change

smorodina
02-16-2006, 05:49 PM
hello
I didn't receive any papers yet form the court after getting married...(but i do have marriage license) how long does it usually take if i am supposed to get anything else? And how do i officially change my last name to my husband's name? do i need to fill out anything else?
Also after getting married and taking my husband's name, do i fill out paper work for change of status using my maiden name or my husbands name?

Thank you.

Toma
02-16-2006, 08:18 PM
Your last name gets changed automatically when you get married. This is universal throughout the United States. The marriage license is the only document you need to show that your name has been changed.
You should apply for all documemts - drivers license, social security card, etc, using your married name. Good Luck!

02-16-2006, 09:11 PM
Your last name gets changed automatically when you get married. This is universal throughout the United States. The marriage license is the only document you need to show that your name has been changed.
You should apply for all documemts - drivers license, social security card, etc, using your married name. Good Luck!

Bullshit.
Your last name changes ONLY IF YOU REQUEST the change, otherwise it stays the same. They send you a form to fill for that.

As for marriage cerificate- YOU HAVE TO SEND A REQUEST to the county clerk's office, with payment of fee, otherwise they not gonna send you ANYTHING.

Paperwork for change of status askes for both your current and your maiden names, so you will know where to say what.

Toma
02-16-2006, 09:33 PM
Bullshit.
Your last name changes ONLY IF YOU REQUEST the change, otherwise it stays the same. They send you a form to fill for that.

As for marriage cerificate- YOU HAVE TO SEND A REQUEST to the county clerk's office, with payment of fee, otherwise they not gonna send you ANYTHING.

Paperwork for change of status askes for both your current and your maiden names, so you will know where to say what.

Bullshit too, I can say! I know what I talk about. I also married an American in Texas and went through the same line. Now I got my Citizenship. I filed my papers making copy of my Marriage Certificate! It is only when I went to get my Citizenship, they asked me if I want to change my name. And I dont think I want to fight here or make a point. I just wanted to help, because I also needed help,thats why I replied to this message. Otherwise,Good Bye to you 9999!

Toma
02-16-2006, 09:49 PM
Smorodina, just go to official web of the immigration and you will get all your answers! http://www.uscis.gov
Good Luck!

Lev Kobrin
02-18-2006, 12:19 AM
Тома права: после вступления в брак любой из супругов имеет право использовать фамилия второго супруга по своему усмотрению. В этом случае не нужна никакая специальная процедура.

02-18-2006, 02:46 AM
Bullshit too, I can say! I know what I talk about. I also married an American in Texas and went through the same line. Now I got my Citizenship. I filed my papers making copy of my Marriage Certificate! It is only when I went to get my Citizenship, they asked me if I want to change my name. And I dont think I want to fight here or make a point. I just wanted to help, because I also needed help,thats why I replied to this message. Otherwise,Good Bye to you 9999!

My wife (american) is married to me, and we did not make a name change, we received the form from Clerks office and never filled it, so SHE IS STILL UNDER HER MAIDEN NAME- LAST NAME!
Nothing happens "automatically", you have to fill the form and send it if you want your name changed.

02-18-2006, 02:48 AM
Тома права: после вступления в брак любой из супругов имеет право использовать фамилия второго супруга по своему усмотрению. В этом случае не нужна никакая специальная процедура.

Лев, зачем же нам с женой прислали форму из Clerks office на смену фамилии? И почему моя жена официально по прежнему всюду проходит под своей девичьей фамилией?

KRASNODAREC
02-18-2006, 09:12 AM
А вот ведь 9999 правильно говорит. Смена НЕ проишодит автомотически, надо заполниать форму, хоть и процедура простаиа, но ето так.